07 October 2012

crumbling resolve :: a random recipe

It's not often that Dom, our Random Recipe Host with the Most, allows us to positively select a recipe (normally our methods must err towards random selection). But this month it is a store cupboard ingredient that must be randomly selected - how we cook with it is up to us.

Dom's plan is for us to unearth a back-of-the-cupboard gem. But the combination of my new kitchen and this week's primary school harvest thanksgiving collection (Hurrah! Palm off all our old cans of random tat to the local elderly so that they can stuff them, cursing, to the back of their larders.) means that my cupboard is unusually bare of geriatric dried goods and crusty out-of-date jars.

So instead I closed my eyes and ran my finger over my "spice rack": more accurately described as a narrow shelf filled with a decade's worth of Bonne Maman jam jars. Their contents are varied (birthdays candles, baking beans, toothpicks, star anise, cupcake sprinkles - you name it) and, when I've failed to write on the lid, frequently a mystery.

My finger landed on half a jar of something crumbly and beige. Hmmmm. Too soft for sugar, too irregular for flour. Faintly foosty-smelling, but too mild to be a spice, and tastes of nothing. Ground almonds was my best guess. And if that were the case I knew immediately what I was going to do with them, having cut something perfect out of the paper a few weeks ago.

The preamble to the recipe read: "...we're now in the midst of a rather agreeable seasonal crossfire – the waning of summer and the waxing of autumn. This is a time of rich culinary potential, as the tapering off of some fine sunshine crops overlaps with the nascence of many others that come to fruition in the shortening days." Gah, to be able to write like that. I think it's just super lovely. Though, having not experienced Autumn since 2009, my susceptibility to romance is high and my resistance is low.

HFW* was talking there about the lovely few days when the berries overlap with the apples, and I've been waiting for that magical moment in my own garden. Yesterday it arrived, and I got seven James Grieve apples and about 200g of juicy raspberries from my little plot.

And so, while a contented little baby with a full tummy snoozed on his Daddy's chest, and on the radio someone played Tchaikovsky on a Stradavarius from the Usher Hall, I spent a Friday night making pastry. Because the state of the bathroom floor can wait, and the four piles of unwashed laundry will still be there in the morning, and (even though my scales say there's 10kg to lose) the calories simply don't count if you've grown all the fruit yourself... right?

By the way, I still have no idea if they were ground almonds or not, but the tart tastes lovely.

before...

...and after, the apple and raspberry crumble tart

*Now, as an aside, you might be forgiven for thinking that I am being paid by Mr H Fearnley-Whittingstall, because I seem to make so many of his recipes. I only wish that I were. (I want to be his friend. Big time.) Despite living on a small island, he's lucky we genuinely couldn't live further apart without getting wet, or I might become a stalker groupie. But the truth is, when I said a few months ago that I learned how to cook from the Guardian/Observer newspaper columns, I really wasn't kidding, and they remain my main inspiration. Hence his constant presence here.



15 comments:

  1. gorgeous!... you conjure up the most wonderful Sunday... with baby asleep on the husband and this fabulous cake baking in the oven... it's like a little slice of heaven... I love that your random ingredient is still unknown... could have been dangerous!... thank you so much for taking part, I feel honoured you've found the time you busy mama! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the simplest things, like baking pastry, are the best therapy. Happy days :-)

      Delete
  2. YUM!!That looks amazing! I love Hugh, I was watching him on TV last night and said to my DH 'who wouldn't like this man, he is just so cool' lol. Wish he wrote for our paper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find all his columns online Sarah! And The Guardian hasn't decided to charge for online content(unlike some other swine like broadsheets). Search the lifestyle section of www.guardian.co.uk and lose hours of your life!

      Delete
  3. I totally wish I could be friends with HFW, too! Probably a good thing that I moved to the other side of the world or I would also be running the risk of being a groupie… The tart looks lovely! I love when apples and berries overlap, so I can totally pretend that it's still summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious!

    Did it smell of almonds? I love that you added a mystery ingredient that proved a success, that's cooking on the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Mrs. I am very impressed with your pastry skills. You are earning vast numbers of points for life's domestic goddess competition! And loads of apples! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you should see the state of the bathroom. Squalid.

      Delete
  6. I love how the most random ones are the most yummiest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, whatever your mystery ingredient was, the resulting tart looks gorgeous. Raspberries are such a wonder for colour as well as taste. We used to get loads of Autumn raspberries on our old plot and they are sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Raspberries are my favourite fruit and I love crumble so this is perfect! I'd love a little of this on a cold day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum - sounds delicious! I have a similar attitude to loads of washing, the dishes, washing the windows etc etc - all lower priorities than baking :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yumm, I love crumble anything crumble this looks nice : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi this looks delicious perfect for the Autumn weather. I haven't actually made anything from Hugh Whittingstall but after seeing this picture of your dish, I may have to pop over to WH Smith. Thanks for popping over to my blog. I'm your latest follower :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A crumble surprise - love it. Love the idea of having all your spices and bits and bobs in jars. So believe that cooking comes way before floors and washing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...