25 July 2012

yarn along: from the sublime to the ridiculous

The ever so subtle and restrained baby blanket is so huge now that I don’t think I really need to worry about finishing it until the dragon baby goes to college. It is the most ridiculously monstrous thing, but I absolutely love working on it. I suspect there’s more than a touch of reality avoidance going on.

still six balls of wool to finish. me and the blanket, both massive

I estimate that at 1000 stitches per night, maybe 1250, I might have it finished in time for the baby shower my friends are planning in honour of the bump next month. At that point I’ll really have to pull my head out of the sand and face reality, but ‘til then I’ll just keep on knitting stripes. Speaking of the bump, I noticed that it had rather hilariously and enormously crept into one of my photos. Jeez, I’m HUGE! Thought it might give you a giggle.

Also in the photo is Love in the time of cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, recommended for our book group this month by a friend, and collected from the library the other day. I’m not getting much time to read just now, but I absolutely love it so far. It’s that rare thing, a modern classic that’s a cracking story and easy to read. In style and subject matter it also reminds me a little (so far) of The Blue Afternoon by William Boyd, another great recommendation that I was lucky enough receive this year.

And to finish, because the sun is shining at last, some indulgent photos of The Boss, dressed as the Queen, hanging tie-dyed babygrows out on the line. For those Yarn Alongers who mentioned last week that they were looking forward to ‘the best handmade baby gift ever’ post, these are they and here it is.

you see that little peek of ermine fake fur? she calls it cow :-)

her vision of monarchy includes a ‘diamond’ thumb ring and a robot faux tattoo – watch and learn K-Middy, watch and learn

dropped a peg

ok, so the ‘gros were already dry, meaning that this was entirely staged. But sometimes you have to make the most of sunshine and a sweet photo opportunity... right?





14 comments:

  1. All gorgeous. I wonder if the Queen has ever had to hang the washing out - or tie-dyed a babygro for that matter?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In those respects, and possibly those only, I suspect my life is richer than hers!

      Delete
  2. Great photo op! She is adorable and I love the photo of her picking up a pin (or peg). The blanket is beautiful and I do not believe that it is monstrous. You'll have to give final measurements when you are done. Have fun at your baby shower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful knitting and photos!

    I love your blog subtitle - I can totally relate to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ren, trouble is, when this baby arrives I'll need a new strap line. Any ideas?!

      Delete
  4. That blanket is amazing... I love the subtle color transitions. I hope it is cherished for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute!! I do love those tie-dyed!!! and the blankie is magnificent.....baby can always take it college if it's too big!!! (and I can't believe I made my 4TH amazon purchase today----BLue afternoon!!! I, too, loved Love in the time...., so I'm hoping I love Blue, too!!! THanks for the recommendation!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your babygros are such cuties. And the blanket looks fantastic - in the top photo it looks as if it wasn't stripey but just a gorgeous gradating yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this post and everything in it. i need to make some of these tie dyed 'babygros' (new word to me) - they are so cute! a long time ago i made some onesies for a friend's baby with her sister but have never made any for mine. it's time! and you are just so funny... i need more of your sense of humor in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knitting stripes seems an excellent way to ignore reality! The blanket looks so pretty – I love the colours. I've had quite a few recommendations for Love in the time of cholera, but have yet to get around to actually reading it. I think I'd better get on to that…

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet the Queen has a cool robot tattoo. Or maybe a mermaid? I just hunk The Boss is ace - she has it sorted!
    I didn't notice your bump til you pointed it out - lovely - baby always wants in on the act!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I once got so lost in Love in the Time of Cholera I missed my tube stop, lovely book :D

    Those baby grows are adorable, as is The Boss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the babygrows. Thank you for sharing them! Your bump is darling! The blanket is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...